Hey Everyone! It’s Christine George, President of Marketing at RE/MAX Leading Edge with offices in Boston, Cambridge and all over Greater Boston. Welcome to Episode 7 of Real Estate Marketing!
One of the common complaints I hear from real estate agents and colleagues is that they just don’t have enough time in the day. Let’s face it, our business is just one piece in the life puzzle we work to balance each and every day. So today I’m going to share with you 5 tips for saving time.
I know many of us are as organized as a landfill. However, organization and systems are key to making sure your goals become a reality. The good thing is that technology has made it very easy for us to stay organized.
- The first step to getting organized is to DECLUTTER. As real estate professionals, we need to practice what we preach. Declutter your home, office and your mind. Chances are if your environment is clear of chaos, your mind will be too.
- The next step is to AUTOMATE.
- Use an Online Calendar. Using online calendars allows you to view your calendar on your iPhone, Android, tablet or laptop. Cloud based calendars will ensure you don’t miss an appointment, allow you to make changes without crossing things out or erasing them and allow you to map out your appointment locations. Google calendar is my personal favorite.
- Use a Task List. Wunderlist is my go-to task list. It allows me to manage both business and personal tasks. It’s great for teams and families because it allows you to assign tasks to others. Oh, and it’s FREE.
Time is your most valuable resource so it’s important that you use it wisely. Setting boundaries will insure you’re using time effectively and working toward achieving your goals.
- Be in Control of Your Calendar. When scheduling a meeting with a client, let the client know when you’re available to meet and provide some options. Don’t leave it open-ended. For example, “Ms. Seller, I’m available Monday, Thursday and Friday between 8AM-11AM or 4PM-7PM. Which of these work best for you?
- Eliminate the Energy Vampires. You know them. They’re the people in your business or in your life who suck the energy right out of you. They’re negative complainers and they’re a huge drag! Surround yourself with positive energy. You’ll find yourself feeling happier and more motivated.
- Don’t Take Calls Before 8AM or after 8PM and Respect Others Who Subscribe to the Same Philosophy. Yup. I know it’s hard. Yes, I know there will be exceptions. This is about life balance.
Focus on moneymaking activities. Making phone calls and meeting clients face-to-face is what generates business. If you don’t already have an assistant, consider hiring one. Then leverage them as much as possible. They will keep you organized, do your research, coordinate your travel, make your appointments, run your errands, etc.
Be Present and Stay Focused
The abundance of noise that sits in the palm of our hands is unbelievable. If you let them, the distractions will kill any chance you have to get one more listing, put one more home under agreement or watch your child get their first goal. Temper your desire to check Facebook or look at the email that just popped up. And please, shut off your phone when you’re in a meeting with someone. Their time is just as valuable as yours. This is by far the most difficult for most of us (myself included) because we are programmed to react to everything that comes at us. Stay focused and do the things matter.
Practice Yoga and Meditation
For those of us who are self admitted Type A personalities, there is nothing that will clear the noise and create the balance more than yoga and mediation. I have been a practicing yogi for more than 16 years and was a yoga teacher for 7 of those years. The practice is something that will tone your body and your mind. I guarantee it. Find a style and a studio that resonates with you and make the commitment.
Well there you have it…my 5 tips for saving time and sanity. Perhaps commit to doing one thing and then come back and do another and another. No system is perfect. Life will throw you curve balls but I subscribe to each of these ideas and have found them to be effective in managing my time.
What things do you do to save time and maintain balance in your life? Please share them with me. Leave me a comment below. If you like our Real Estate Marketing vlog, we’d LOVE it if you’d like, comment and share it, check us out at leadingedgeagents.com or like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn. Thanks so much everyone, enjoy the rest of your day and we’ll see on the next episode of Real Estate Marketing.